1 quart whole milk or 2% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup white rice (rinsed in cold water and drained)
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup raisins
- Place milk and salt into a saucepan.
- When milk is warm, add rice.
- Bring to a slow boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Cook until the rice is soft, about 35-40 minutes.
- In a large bowl, blend the eggs, 3/4 c evaporated milk, vanilla and sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup evaporated milk to the hot rice.
- Add the raisins.
- When rice is soft, spoon about 1 cup of the rice mixture into the blended egg mixture, then pour the mixture into the remaining rice and cook until bubbly and thick.
- Place into a bowl, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top if you wish.
- Refrigerate until cold.