www.firehousechefs.com, April 2009
* 3 bunches cilantro, roughly chopped, separated into thirds
* 2 limes, juiced
* 2-4 garlic cloves
* 1/4 onion
* 2 tablespoons sour cream
* Pinch of crushed red pepper (or 1 Chipotle pepper, seeded)
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1 cup chicken broth
* salt & pepper to taste
* 3/4-1 cup olive oil (to taste)
* 3-4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
* 2 onions, thinly sliced
* 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
* 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced **
* 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into small wedges
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
* Spanish rice, black beans, guacamole, sour cream,
salsa and shredded cheese, to go with fajitas
** switch it up and add 2 diced zucchinis and/or 1 cup of your favorite mushrooms, sliced
1. Put all of the marinade ingredients in a blender (reserve 1/3 chopped cilantro for garnish). Start blending on low, then increase speed as the marinade is coming together. While still blending, slowly pour in the olive oil until marinade is well blended & looks like salad dressing. Set aside.
2. With a mallet, pound chicken breasts so that they are tenderized and will cook evenly. Salt & pepper both sides of breasts; place breasts in a large ziplock bag & pour in enough marinade to coat evenly; set aside to marinate for 30-60 minutes (the longer you marinate, the stronger the infusion of flavors).
3. Grill the marinated chicken breasts (internal temp 180°) on a bbq grill until tender yet done. After breasts are done, allow to rest off of grill for at least 5 minutes (so that chicken retains juices), then cut into thin strips, approximately 2-3" long. Set aside.
4. Over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, then add the onions & peppers. Season with salt, pepper, another pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, cumin, and granulated garlic. Sauté over high heat until veggies are cooked but remain al denté. Add the tomatoes & some of the remaining marinade & gently stir to coat.
5. Place the chicken strips on top of the vegetables. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with Spanish rice, black beans, salsa, guacamole, sour cream & cheese.