Source: Cookinglight.com, July 2009
In Greece, souvlaki typically refers to skewers of grilled lamb. In America, chicken is more common, and it's often served in pita bread. Precooked chicken makes these sandwiches a snap to prepare. Serve with tabbouleh.
4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bottled minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups sliced roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Combine feta cheese, yogurt, dill, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic in a small bowl, stirring well.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and oregano to pan, and sauté for 20 seconds. Add chicken, and cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each pita half, and top with 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture, 2 tablespoons shredded lettuce, 1 tablespoon cucumber, and 1 tablespoon tomato. Divide onion evenly among pitas.
- Calories:414 (30% from fat)
- Fat:13.7g (sat 6.4g,mono 4.7g,poly 1.4g)